Monday, August 29, 2011

First Day

Despite the fact that I am no longer a first-year teacher, and am now teaching at a fancy private school, the thought of my first day makes me a bit nervous.

The first week of school is so important for establishing class culture and laying down your rules and structure that will set the tone for the entire year. Since I'll be teaching young children in a foreign language, some of these concepts may be hard to convey. And in general the unfamiliar is always a bit frightening.

So what could possibly make this experience better? What could put me at ease, and help me dive into this new experience with confidence? To be told, at 9pm, that my first lesson will be videotaped by the local news.

Thank you, Taiwan, for the warm, gentle welcome.





1 comment: